Friday, June 3, 2011

Apple Crisp

Apple Crisp is my all time favorite dessert. There were times as a child when I would forgo the birthday cake and ask for apple crisp instead. I just love it! This recipe, I must say, rates up there with my mom’s in my opinion, and that is good. This is a recipe I came up with on the fly in my kitchen this morning and I am so glad I took the time to measure instead of my regular ‘little of this, little of that’ method. Now I can (and will) recreate this recipe many times. So good (and so little sugar, yeah)

Apple Crisp
5 organic apples
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp pure organic maple syrup
Topping
1/3 c almond flour
1/3 c coconut flour
3 tbsp coconut oil
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut oil (to dot the top of the crust)
Peel and slice apples.
Preheat oven to 350. Mix together cinnamon and maple syrup and mix into sliced apples. It will not look like it is enough to cover all the apples, but because the maple syrup is thick, when the apples start to give off their juices in the oven the flavor will spread throughout. No need to add extra. Place into 7X6, or similarly sized casserole dish.

In same bowl you mixed the apples with the cinnamon and maple syrup, mix together the topping ingredients and cut in coconut oil. By using the same bowl you will pick up some of the maple flavor into the topping without adding anymore syrup (or wasting the syrup left behind, because that would just be wrong!). Spread topping over apples. Take additional tbsp of coconut oil and break it apart over the topping. This will help the top crisp up a little. Bake for about 30 minutes.

I like my apples still kind of crisp, but if you like a creamier textured apple, you can bake it at 325 for a longer time to achieve that. I like to enjoy mine just like that, or with a tbsp or so of coconut milk over top. Yumm… goal for the day, leave at least enough for hubby to try when he gets home from work!

7 comments:

  1. This looks SO good! Ordering coconut and almond flours now. My family will love this, and hopefully will forgive me for turning us Paleo. LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does taste incredible. I completly understand what you mean about the backlash from the family. Believe me, it does get better and before you know it they may actually enjoy it. I came home to my daughter eating raw zucchini today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My stomach is growling for some of this! Thank you for the recipe you are a dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this just looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are liking the recipe, ladies! It is really yummy!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna mrsespinzoa0304@yahoo.comOctober 22, 2011 at 3:08 PM

    Do you make your own almond flour at home? (Sorry for all the questions...just wanting to learn how you do things)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't. I go in with a friend on this almond flour, and love it. I end up with 12.5lbs at a time, and it keeps really well in the deep freezer. Hope that helps!
    http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/blanchedalmondflour25lb.aspx

    ReplyDelete