Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Barbecue Sauce

There is a Barbecue Chicken Salad that we used to eat a couple times a month that I absolutely loved. Unfortunately, we have not had the salad in many months. With non-Paleo sauce, black beans, corn, fried onion straws, tortilla chips and Honey Mustard salad dressing it is far from Paleo. I have my grandmother's recipe for her incredible barbecue sauce that I use and decided this morning to try my hand at reinventing it. It tastes similar to my grandmothers, not as sweet, but will definitely fit the bill. I am excited to have a healthier version of the salad this evening!


Barbecue Sauce
23 oz tomato juice (1/2 large can, organic, sodium free)
½ onion
½ tbsp crushed garlic
½ tsp sea salt
1 tbsp chili powder
4 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp coconut amino's
1 tsp honey
Chop onions finely. I leave mine in slightly larger pieces that my grandmother did because I have to strain them out in order for my husband to eat it.

Add all ingredients into medium saucepan. Bring just to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Allow sauce to reduce by about 1/2, about 40 minutes or so.
The jar pictured is about 1/2 of the sauce I ended up with. The other half is in the crockpot with some chicken breasts. I will update later with the other revisions I make to the salad and how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment