Monday, June 13, 2011

Make small changes fun

I have heard a lot of people talk about the positive changes Paleo has made in their own bodies, but seeing it an impossibility to incorporate paleo options into their children's lives. I completely get it... my picky eaters are very reluctant to venture outside their current food box. One thing I think is helping us with the process is making small changes one at a time that will inevitably lead to a better big picture.

I am able to do this with some foods by making them fun. I have switched out my children's traditional peanut butter with Sunflower Seed Butter.  A much healthier option, without a dramatic palate change. Instead of peanut butter and jelly sandwich I have given them SunButter Flowers, and of course Beatles for Colton as he is much too manly for flowers!

Now, my children are far from squeaky clean Paleo, but by making small changes like these I see the progression in the right direction, and recognize that they are getting better nutrition without feeling like their food world has been turned upside down.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Esther! I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. I recently started my own to help keep myself accountable while I did my "30 days." We also have younger kids, ages 2 and 4. My blog was originally going to be about how they were doing the 30 days as well, but even after only a few days I realized that making that drastic of a change was not going to be a good fit for our girls. I love this post! It's so nice to hear you talk about making small changes. That's want we're doing now and I think it will make our kids all the more healthy in the end. Thanks for the great ideas, tips and recipes! All the best - TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles to get the kids to go along with it. I have read a couple post, from great well-intentioned people, who have said things like, if they are hungry enough they will eat it, or those sorts of things. To me, I don't want Paleo to be a punishment to my kids, and for them to have to eat the foods I make out of starvation, if you know what I mean. My kids are still not perfect, but they are really moving along and eating healthier and healthier by the week. Thanks so much for your comment, it really means a lot to me to hear people are enjoying my work. I can't wait to go check out your blog!!

    ReplyDelete