Thursday, September 1, 2011

Apple-Rhubarb Cake

Growing up in New York (think WAY upstate, not city), we had wild Rhubarb in our yard. I always loved the tart flavor it gave to sweet dishes, but I can't say as I have actually had any since leaving home. Once I tasted this cake, all the memories of baking with my mom came flooding back, which made the cake even more delicious! I pray I am able to make those same kinds of fond memories with my children that my mother always made with me!



Apple-Rhubarb Cake
2 C Rhubarb- diced small
3 C Apples- same dice as Rhubarb
1/4 C Coconut Oil
1 tbsp Cinnamon
1 1/2 C Almond Flour
1/2 C Coconut Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
3 Eggs
1/2 C Coconut Milk
2 tsp Vanilla
1/3 C Honey
1/4 C Coconut Oil- Melted

Preheat oven to 350.
In a large saute pan, heat 1/4 C of coconut oil.
 Once hot, add in diced rhubarb, apples and cinnamon.
 Allow mixture to saute over medium high for 5 minutes or until rhubarb and apples become tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

  In 2 separate bowls, combine wet and dry ingredients separately.  Once combined, pour wet into dry and stir to combine.
Add in apple/rhubarb mixture and stir to combine. Pour batter into a coconut oil greased 8X8/9X7 Pyrex. 
Sprinkle the top of the cake with additional cinnamon and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Enjoy!
And of course, the ultimate 2 critics, and they LOVED it!!

1 comment:

  1. This is the best apple cake I have ever had! Thank you so much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete