Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Crackers

I tried my hand at a Paleo Chili last night, and wanted some kind of cracker to go with it. This is what I came up with on the fly, and it turned out really good. I will be trying the same recipe and mixing up the spices I put in it. I am thinking these would be a great alternative on a meat and cheese platter for the upcoming holiday parties!

Crackers
1 C Almond Flour
1/4 C Coconut Flour
1 Egg
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1/8 C Avocado Oil + extra to grease pan

Preheat oven to 325. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
Liberally grease a baking stone, or parchment a baking sheet.  Place dough onto stone/sheet and cover with parchment paper.  Using a rolling pin, or other cylinder, roll out dough as thin as you can without being able to see through it.
Mine covered the whole 9X13 stone.  Score dough in the cracker shapes you want and place in preheated oven. 
Mine took 22 minutes, but will probably be 4-6 minutes less if you are using a traditional sheet pan instead of the baking stone.  Keep an eye and remove them when they become toasty brown.

12 comments:

  1. I am glad they worked out for you. You bring up a great point, if you know your crackers are destined for a sturdy dip then roll them thicker and bake a little longer so they can stand up to the dip.



    Diwali Festival 2011 | Diwali 2011 Sweets | Diwali 2011 Gifts

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea! TFS :) Do you think it would work with coconut oil instead of avocado oil? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hesitate to say it would work, only because I have not tried it and I hate to say yes when I haven't tried something. I imagine it would, but might have a lower flavor profile. I will let you know if I try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this recipe and bookmarked it. I try to eat paleo, but it's really hard to give up those easy-to-grab foods when I'm in a hurry. And, I love some awesome dips, so this is perfect. Thanks! Also, am trying several other recipes soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is Paleo the same as gluten free? I am new to this term and find it quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paleo is not the same as Gluten Free, but Paleo is Gluten Free. Grains are not consumed at all in Paleo, therefore it is naturally Gluten Free. Additionally, Paleo restricts other ingredients that would be tolerated in a traditional Gluten Free Diet, such as processed sugars and other GF grains. Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you use coconut flour in your recipe. This recipe is in the oven right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could EVOO be used in place of acocado oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you will have a stronger flavor to the cracker.

      Delete
  9. I miss crackers, when I make chicken salad, I will be making these soon. I will be adding cracked black pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I've made these several times..I use almond oil.... I've made the crackers to eat with guacamole and used 1/2 the amount of onion powder..they were perfect. For chili I used the full amount called for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made these with coconut oil and added oregano instead of onion powder. they were yummy :)

    ReplyDelete