Monday, October 17, 2011

Basic Beef Stew

This is the basic method I use for my Paleo Stews. I say method, because it is not an exact recipe. As much as I try to measure everything now, and I have improved a lot, there are some things I just can't do it on. This is one of those 'what veggies are about to go bad' type of recipes. The last few carrots in the bag, the leafy stalks of celery from the center of the bunch, etc. So use it as a method, and see what you create!

Basic Beef Stew
1 lb Beef (I used 2 Sirloin Steaks I had in the freezer)
Oil to sear beef (coconut, avocado, or butter would all work)
4 Carrots
3 Celery Stalks
Onion Powder
Salt
4 C Stock (I used chicken stock I had in the freezer)
4 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
3 Tbsp COLD water

Cut beef into bite size pieces. Heat oil in pan. Toss beef liberally in onion powder and a little salt and sear in hot oil till beef is browned on all sides. Add stock to hot pan in order to de-glaze and scape all those bits of flavor up. Pour contents of pan into crock pot and turn to low. Peal and dice vegetables into bite size pieces and add to crock pot. Allow contents to cook for about 6 hours on low.
When you are ready to serve, whisk together arrowroot powder and cold water. Stir arrowroot mixture into hot stew. It will begin to thicken immediately. If you want a thicker consistency, you can add more arrowroot/water slurry until you achieve the desired thickness.
Serve!

2 comments:

  1. I totally just made the same thing today!! Used a 1lb grass fed chuck roast, a few celery stalks, zucchini, and onion...added some stock, some seasoning and let 'er sit in the crock pot all day! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an absolutly perfect meal after hanging out at the pumpkin patch all day! I love this method!!

    ReplyDelete