Saturday, December 10, 2011

Maple Sausage and Parsnip Soup

My friend Rachael told me about a soup she had at a diner in the Tacoma area. Of course, the foodie that I am, I was intrigued. After a couple attempts, I rendered this delicious, slightly sweet creation. It was perfect on a chilly December evening! I have no idea if it is like the soup Rachael had, or even similar, but I know it is good! I hope you enjoy!

Maple Sausage and Parsnip Soup
1 lb of Breakfast Sausage (uncooked)+ 1 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup Mixed in
3 Tbsp GF Butter
1/2 yellow onion
1.5 lb Parsnip
6 C Beef Broth
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1/4 C Maple Syrup
1/4 C Heavy Cream (Optional)


Peel and fine dice both the onion and parsnips.

Heat butter in a large pot.
Add in onions and parsnips and allow to cook over medium high until onions become translucent and just begin to brown.
Add in salt and onion powder and stir to distribute.  Add in beef broth and bring to a simmer.
Cover the pot and allow to simmer for 20 minutes covered.
Remove the lid and allow the soup to reduce slightly by simmering for an additional 15 minutes uncovered. While the soup is cooking, brown the sausage in a heavy bottom pan.
 With a potato masher (or emersion blender if you want a smoother texture) mash up the parsnips to the texture of your liking.
 Add in about 1/2 of the browned sausage and allow it to warm through. Remove pot from heat and add in maple syrup and heavy cream.

 Serve by adding additional sausage and fresh cracked pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment