Friday, March 9, 2012

Buffalo-Ranch Pulled Chicken

This recipe turned out really good. It had the perfect balance of spice and flavor with the combination I used. It was super easy to throw in the slow-cooker between my morning and afternoon activities, and when we all got home this evening we were able to fill our tummies quickly before my husband ran back out the door. My husband told me this was definitely one to do again! I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did!

Note: I can't always afford all Grass-Fed meats, so chicken is where I generally skimp. Because the fat is where the majority of the pesticides and toxins reside, I choose to purchase boneless/skinless chicken breast and add in healthy fats (butter, coconut oil, etc) into the meal in other places. This allows me to keep a lower budget and still get the nutrition my family needs.

Buffalo-Ranch Pulled Chicken
5 Frozen B/S Chicken Breasts
1/2 Tbsp Dried Parsley
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
1/4 tsp Salt
1 C Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Place frozen chicken breasts into the slow cooker.
Forgot the Thyme in this picture

 Mix together all remaining ingredients in a bowl.

Pour sauce over frozen chicken breasts and turn to low.
Cook for about 5 hours.
 Using two forks or tongs, shred chicken.
Enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. What would be an alternative to reds hot sauce? Is it an enchilada type sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not enchilada like, it is a chicken wing style hot sauce. I have used Tapatia hot sauce with some white vinegar (to give it the wing flavor) before and it was pretty similar. Whatever you would normally use for chicken wings would work fine. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. Made this today. It was a hit with the whole family! THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rosie Franks also makes a buffalo wing sauce. Very good. Can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this using half bbq half hot sauce. Awesome pulled chicken sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  5. were does the ranch come in... ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parsley, onion powder, garlic and thyme is a recipe for a ranch dressing powder, similar to the packets you would buy at that store, but without the garbage in it.

      Delete
  6. Could you substitue homemade salsa or bbq sauce in place of hot sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the flavors would mesh well with either of those. This is a chicken wing and ranch type flavor, to my mind wouldn't go with those.

      Delete
  7. What are the sides you served it with? I'm having trouble figuring them out from the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like to do it with roasted veggies, vinegar slaw and sweet potato fries! On that day it was roasted brussel sprouts and mashed squash.

      Delete
  8. What could we have to go with this?? Making tomorrow for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay, Kim. We are in the process of moving and things have been hectic. We like this with a vingar cole slaw or simple roast veggies. Hope you enjoyed!

      Delete
  9. If I use a pack of fresh chicken that I have in the freezer would that be the same as the frozen bagged chicken? Probably a dumb question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you would probably have a little shorter cooking time though!

      Delete
  10. Making It For Dinner Starting Its Now

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where is the Ranch in this recipe? Thank you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flavors are those found in a traditional 'ranch' dressing. The onion powder, parsley, garlic and thyme.

      Delete
  12. very interesting ,excited about making
    it ,thanku

    ReplyDelete
  13. how long would you cook it if the chicken is unthawed?

    ReplyDelete
  14. just eat it like that or would it be better on a bun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We eat it just as is. Being grain free it is not often that we make buns.

      Delete
  15. would be good over rice too im sure! My hubby is Filipino and we eat rice with everything! def gonna try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i believe I am going to try this. Love pulled pork but never did chicken before, thanx for something new to try. How many servings does the recipe make? My husband is a vacuum per say lol he can eat and eat..So we usually need something that can fill him up, just to turn around an hour later and be hungry again. haha. and we have two kids as well. Will this be enough or would I need to double everything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is enough for my family for dinner and lunch the next day. I would say its 5 good size servings. It sounds like you might need to double it to make sure you have enough ;-)

      Delete
  17. This sounds great, my family will enjoy this! My daughter and son-in-law go to Boston Market to get pulled chicken sandwiches all the time. I know they we'll like this better. Thank you for the crock pot recipe!

    ReplyDelete